A guide to services

A guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare and children and family services.

See which service or professional is best to help you.

Self care

Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried, call NHS 111 or your GP.



NHS 111 makes it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Call 111 if:

  • You need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency.

  • You think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service.

  • You don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call.

  • You need health information or reassurance about what to do next.

If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your child’s condition, continue to use that number.



Your local pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest the best medicine to help. There are often pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late.

If your child has a temperature which has not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen, see your GP.

Visit www.nhs.uk/chemist where you can find your nearest pharmacist.


GP (doctor)

You will need to register with a local GP. Your GP can advise, give you the medicines you need and point you in the right direction if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment.

All GPs will see a child quickly if you are worried. At evenings and weekends, when your GP practice might be closed, call the practice as usual and you will be directed to out-of-hours services.

Health visitor

Health visitor

Health visitors are there to support you when you need them. They will visit you at home or see you in a clinic. They offer support and advice and can tell you where to get extra help if you need it. They are part of a team who are there to support you during the early years, such as helping with feeding problems.

Early Attachment Service

Support to build your relationship with your baby/young child. From pregnancy to a child's second birthday. Facebook@hmreas

Children's centres

Families can access a wide range of information in a friendly environment. Children’s centres promote all aspects of child health and wellbeing and provide a range of advice including health promotion and advice on safety. Each children’s centre has its own programme of activities and services.

Children’s Community Nursing Team (CCNT)

The Children’s Community Nursing Team operates 365 days a year and can provide treatment and care for 0-18 years, for example after an illness or injury or if a child has a long-term medical need such as epilepsy, diabetes or asthma. If you think the team could help you, speak to your GP.

School nurse

School nurses will support you when you need them. They will visit you at home, see you in clinic or at your child’s school. They offer support and advice and can advise on extra help if you need it. They are part of a team who are there to support you during the school years from school entry to a young adult’s 20th birthday.



Make sure you see a dentist on a regular basis. Discuss registering your child early on with your dentist and take them with you to appointments.

To find your nearest dentist visit www.nhs.uk/dentist

For out-of-hours dentist information, call NHS 111.

Urgent care/walk-in centre

There are local urgent care/walk-in centres - see useful contacts for more details.


For immediate and life-threatening emergencies, please call 999.

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness. These may be choking, breathing difficulties, severe abdominal pain or when they’re unconscious, unaware of surroundings or have taken poison or tablets.